Ear plugs that can be worn in the water are called “swim plugs” or “aquatic ear plugs.” They can be found at retailers that sell swimming and water sports equipment, such as sporting goods stores, and online through e-commerce websites. They are also available at many pharmacies and health stores. Some popular brands of swim plugs include Mack’s, Doc’s Proplugs, and Ear Band-It.
Swim plugs for ear protection
Swim plugs, also known as aquatic ear plugs, are designed to protect the ears from water and prevent swimmer’s ear. They create a barrier that keeps water from entering the ear canal and reduce the risk of ear infections. They are often used by swimmers, divers, and surfers, as well as people with sensitive ears or a history of ear infections. Swim plugs can also help to reduce the pressure on the eardrum caused by changes in water depth and temperature. Additionally, they can provide noise reduction which can be helpful for individuals who are sensitive to loud noise in the pool or open water.
There are several different types of swim plugs available on the market, each with its own unique features and benefits.
- Pre-molded swim plugs: These are pre-shaped, one-size-fits-all ear plugs that are made from a soft, flexible material. They are easy to use and can be worn comfortably for long periods of time.
- Custom-molded swim plugs: These are made from a mold of the individual’s ear, providing a perfect fit and maximum comfort. They are more expensive than pre-molded swim plugs, but they offer the best protection and comfort.
- Flange-style swim plugs: These have a small, flange-like protrusion that sits inside the ear canal, creating a seal to keep water out. They are often used by swimmers and divers to keep water out of the ear canal and reduce the pressure on the eardrum.
- Reusable swim plugs: These ear plugs are made of silicone or rubber and can be worn multiple times. They are easy to clean and can be a cost-effective option.
- Disposable swim plugs: These are typically made of foam, and are intended for one-time use. They are convenient and easy to use, but should be replaced after each use for hygiene reasons.
It’s recommended to try different types and to see which one fits your needs best.
Fitting and inserting swim plugs
To ensure that swim plugs provide the maximum protection and comfort, it’s important to fit and insert them properly.
- Before inserting the plugs, make sure your hands and ears are clean.
- To insert pre-molded swim plugs, roll the plug between your fingers to compress it, then reach over your head with one hand to pull your ear up and out, and use the other hand to insert the plug.
- To insert flange-style swim plugs, hold the plug between your thumb and index finger, reach over your head with one hand to pull your ear up and out, and use the other hand to insert the plug. Push the plug in firmly to create a seal.
- Custom-molded swim plugs, as the name implies, are molded to the shape of your ear, no additional steps are required.
- To check that the plugs are properly inserted, try to gently tug on the plug. If it stays in place, it’s in correctly.
It’s also important to note that if you have trouble inserting swim plugs, or if they cause discomfort, you should consult an audiologist or other ear specialist.
Cleaning and caring for swim plugs
Proper cleaning and care of swim plugs is essential to ensure they remain effective and last a long time.
- After each use, remove the plugs and gently shake off any excess water.
- Clean the plugs with mild soap and warm water. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials as they can damage the plugs.
- Dry the plugs thoroughly, using a clean towel or air dry.
- Store the plugs in a clean, dry place. Avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures or direct sunlight.
- For reusable swim plugs, check them for wear and tear, replace them if they appear damaged or stretched out.
- Disposable plugs should be replaced after each use, for hygiene reasons.
By following these simple steps, you can ensure that your swim plugs remain clean, hygienic, and effective for a long time.
Comparison of swim plugs brands and models
When choosing swim plugs, it’s important to consider the features, benefits, and price of different brands and models. Some popular swim plugs brands include:
- Mack’s Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs: These pre-molded ear plugs are made from a soft, flexible silicone material and have a noise reduction rating of 22 decibels. They are designed to fit comfortably in most ear canals and are recommended for swimming, showering, and sleeping.
- Doc’s Proplugs Vented Earplugs: These custom-molded ear plugs feature a vented design that equalizes pressure in the ear canal and reduces the risk of swimmer’s ear. They are made from a soft, flexible material and come with a carrying case.
- Speedo Ergo Earplugs: These flange-style ear plugs feature a unique shape that conforms to the ear canal for a comfortable, secure fit. They are made from a soft, flexible material and come with a carrying case.
- H2O Audio Surge SwimEar Waterproof Earplugs: These earplugs have an advanced waterproof design which ensures the earplugs will stay in place and provide the best protection. They also come with a carrying case.
- Ear Band-It Swim Band: This swim band is worn around the head and covers the ears, providing protection from water. It’s a good option for people who have trouble keeping traditional ear plugs in place.
It’s important to note that different brands and models may offer different features and benefits, so it’s a good idea to try different options and see which one works best for you.
Where to buy?
Swim plugs can be purchased from a variety of different retailers. Some popular places to buy swim plugs include:
- Sporting Goods Stores: Many sporting goods stores carry a wide selection of swim plugs, making it easy to try on different brands and models in-store.
- Online Retailers: Online retailers such as Amazon, Ebay, Walmart and many others carry a wide selection of swim plugs, with many options available at competitive prices.
- Specialty Swim Stores: Specialty swim stores carry a wide selection of swim plugs, as well as other swimming accessories such as goggles and swim caps. They also may have experts that can help you to find the right plugs for you.
- Pharmacies and Medical Supply Stores: Some pharmacies and medical supply stores carry swim plugs, particularly those that are marketed as ear protection for swimmers.
- Audiology Clinics: Some audiology clinics sell custom-molded swim plugs, which are molded to the exact shape of your ear canal for the best fit and protection.
It’s also possible to find swim plugs at some department stores and big box stores, but depending on the location the selection can be more limited. It’s always a good idea to check multiple sources to find the best deals and availability.
In conclusion, swim plugs are an important accessory for anyone who swims regularly, as they help to protect the ears from water and prevent swimmer’s ear. They come in a variety of different types, including pre-molded, custom-molded, flange-style, and band-style, and can be made from a variety of different materials such as silicone and foam. It’s important to select a swim plug that fits comfortably and securely in your ear canal, and to clean and care for them properly to ensure they last a long time. Swim plugs can be purchased from a variety of retailers such as sporting goods stores, online retailers, specialty swim stores, pharmacies, and audiology clinics. With the wide variety of options available, it’s important to compare different brands and models to find the best swim plugs for you.
My goal is to provide accurate, up-to-date information about every aspect of ear plugs so that you can make the best choice for your needs. Have questions? Make sure to fill them out in the contact form and we will get them answered!